The local area
The Acupuncture Academy is situated south of the river in historic Royal Leamington Spa, within in easy walking distance of the Victorian town gardens (Jephson Gardens) and many shops, restaurants and food outlets. The spa itself, and the gardens, were an important tourist destination throughout the last two centuries, and remain so today.
Leamington police force 1905
The Academy is located in the old town hall, which later became the Justice Centre and police station, and we still have a couple of authentic cells available for mis-behaving students! The history of this area is fascinating, and this page you can even see a picture of the police officers who were based here in 1905.
Leamington is great for shopping (if you have the time!), and Regent Street, which crosses the Parade (the main shopping street), is packed with individual boutiques and delicatessens – great for gift shopping, as well as lunch with friends.
There are also some great places to eat in town, for example Momo in Regent Street for lovely noodle dishes, and a Wagamama’s in the Parade. For pub lunch lovers there is also the Town House (lovely real ales!) very nearby, and we would not be without our close neighbours, the Millenium Sweet House in High Street – well known for their fabulous authentic Indian take away.
Leamington Spa and the surrounding villages have everything from budget hotels to B&B’s, inns and posh places, so you should find something to suit you. Our students recommend:
- Hedley Villa Guest House – family run business in Russell Terrace, nearby.
- Garden Cottage – 3 rooms. Free Wi fi. The rate for single occupancy is from £50 a night which includes breakfast. If no breakfast and just coffee/tea which is in the room then the charge is £45 a night. One double contains a microwave and small fridge off the room.
- Diane at York Road residence – £30 for bed only – contact Diane on 01926 316456 or 07552932266 (she doesn’t have a website as she really only offers rooms to TAA students!
We also have some Leamington residents happy to offer rooms to our students:
- Polly Turner says: Hello! I am happy to offer casual B and B in my home to your mature students. I am a ‘host family’ for international students who study at local colleges on an occasional basis. I live on Freemans Close, which is off the Rugby Road in Leamington, about a 15 minute walk into town (and 25 minutes to your school). It would be about 5 minutes by car. I have a single spare room to offer with a bathroom shared with the family and access to Wifi. People are welcome to share our sitting room in the evening. I would provide a breakfast including cereals, toast, fruit and yoghurt. I have a gas safety certificate and I am inspected every 6 months by the college. Through my employment I am CRB checked. My 14 year old daughter and I are used to welcoming people into our home and making their stay comfortable. The cost would be £40 per night. An evening meal can be provided at additional cost. You can contact Polly on 01926 740111, or 07961 303445.
- Liz on Franklin Road, Whitnash – a private house offering a nice room with broadband for £35, which includes a simple breakfast. We understand that Liz would be happy for students to use the kitchen providing no meat was cooked and it was left tidy 🙂 She also wants you to know that there is a small dog at this property – 07889 256127
- Suzi at 10 High View Road, Cubbington, Leamington Spa CV32 7JB. (The 68 bus route is at the end of the road, 2 minutes away) £45 with breakfast. Call 01926 313290, or 07914 792550
Nearby chain hotels include:
- Premier Inn and Travelodges (both in Leamington and within easy walking distance)
- two additional Holiday Inns, one in Leamington and one on the M40 junction on the outskirts of Warwick.
We hope you’ll have fun exploring while you’re here, and enjoy Leamington as much as we do. Do let us know what you find, and we can add your suggestions to this page so that others can enjoy your discovery!